How to access the National Housing Fund (NHF) Loan
WHO CAN APPLY
- Any Nigerian above the age of 18
- The applicant must be a contributor to the National Housing Fund for a minimum period of six months.
- The applicant must have satisfactory evidence of a regular flow of income to guarantee loan repayment.
- The loan shall be for the purpose of building, purchasing or renovating a residential accommodation
- No loan shall be for refinancing
HOW TO APPLY
The applicant is to apply through a duly licensed and accredited mortgage loan originator (MLO) of his/her choice and not directly to the Federal Mortgage Bank of Nigeria (FMBN).
The MLO of the applicant’s choice must be accredited by FMBN to access the NHF facility. Application forms for NHF loans are obtainable from the MLO
SECURITY FOR THE LOAN
- The property for which the loan is sought shall serve as security for the loan.
- The property shall conform to the existing planning laws and regulations (approved building plan).
- The property shall possess sufficient value to recover the loan.
- A mortgaged property shall be insured against hazards
- The loan shall be secured by the first legal mortgage of the property between the applicant and the mortgage loan originator and assigned to FMBN.
REQUIREMENTS FOR ACCESSING AN NHF LOAN
- Open a savings account with a registered PMB
- Contribution to the fund for at least six months prior to application.
- Have satisfactory evidence of the regular flow of income to guarantee the loan.
- Submit photocopies of valid title documents (e.g. C of O).
- Approved survey/site plans
- Approved building plans
- Priced Bill of Quantities where applicable
- Valuation report prepared by a firm of registered surveyors and valuers where applicable
- Three years tax clearance certificate
- Letter of consent to mortgage to your chosen PMB
- Completed prescribed mortgage loan application form
- Evidence of NHF participation
- Copy of payslips for the previous three months
- Equity contribution of personal stake of 30 percent, 20 percent or 10 percent depending on the loan amount applied for loans of N15 million, N10 million and N5 million respectively
- Offer letter/Acceptance and Allocation letter (in case of government projects)
- In the case of a registered self-employed applicant, a copy of Articles and Memorandum of Association and a copy of Certificate of Incorporation as evidence of employment status must be submitted.
HOW MUCH TO APPLY FOR
- A borrower is entitled to a maximum loan of fifteen million nairas (N15, 000,000.00) or as determined by the Bank.
- No individual should be given a loan in excess of 90% of the cost or value of the property to be mortgaged.
Equity contribution based on the new loan amounts is as follows:
- N15,000,000.00 – 30%
- N10,000,000.00 – 20%
- N5,000,000.00 – 10%
The interest rate shall be as prescribed by the National Housing Fund Act which is not more than 6% p.a.
The maximum repayment period shall be 30 years. The individual borrower shall make repayment through the mortgage loan originator through which they obtained the loan.